Saturday, January 9, 2010

the red barn

As long as I can remember, my Grandpa Grumpp has been building red barns. Over the years he has built so many that he has lost count. Each barn is slightly different in measurements, but at a glance they are identical in detail. With no pattern, but just the love and passion for woodworking, he builds a magical place for kids imagination to come alive.

I recall the first barn my grandpa built in 1977, for my cousin Ryan. I remember playing in the barn, and pulling tractors in and out of it, and pretending that I lived on a farm! Another favorite memory was seeing how many kids could fit in it as one time. And yes, there are pictures of four kids at one time....Ryan, Rewa, Craigy, and Sandra! Grandpa loves to see the kids play inside the barn, it brings much reward to his work.

Now that time has pasted, and I've grown up and now have my own son, grandpa has built one for Luke! Words can't express the feeling of happiness and joy that I have each time I walk past it and see it. Many wonderful memories of my childhood surface, and I can't help but think how blessed I am.

I was sitting in the kitchen the other day, and Luke was in the living room playing around his barn. Out of the blue he yells, "MOMMY, I'M IN THE BARN. MOMMY I'M IN THE BARN!" I got SO excited, I grabbed the camera and ran to him, and started snapping as many pictures as I could. The excitement on his face was priceless. I've been waiting for him to crawl in the barn on his own, and he finally did! He played in there for over thirty minutes and everyday since then I find him playing in it. It's funny, because he crawls in there and slides the door shut and all you can he is the soft voice yelling, "Libby, come here!" or "Jake, come here!"

So, Grandma and Grandpa...I know you will read this, and I just want to say THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! for building this barn for Luke. He will always have something special from you that you made with your hands and your God given talents.
















1 comment:

Kimberly Robbins said...

i love thos stockings. What a cute farm house!